Páginas

sexta-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2014

Rawest among the Raw: Ildjarn




I cannot emphasize enough how fucking mad I am about Ildjarn. I guess it’s just one of those bands you either love or hate. Despite being widely acknowledged as a seminal entity in the embryonic years of the so-called second wave of black metal in Norway, counting with the support of eminent personas such as Emperor’s Insahn and Samoth as session musicians, Ildjarn is frowned upon by many even amongst the hardcore fans of the scene. The reason for this is that, notwithstanding the crudeness that characterized the initial age of Norwegian black metal, it soon became much more sophisticated, with a lot more stress being laid on technical aspects of the music, insertion of orchestral arrangements and so on. It’s safe to say that Ildjarn progressed in the opposite direction, not giving a rat’s arse about sophistication. It remained as a straightforward, minimalistic, raw, ravenous, unrelentingly rabid act, safeguarding the umbilical cord uniting black metal and punk, allied with the more precarious production I’ve ever heard. Compared against Ildjarn, old school raw black metal bands like Beherit, Blasphemy, Black Witchery, Von or Archgoat resemble mere choirboys. However, the characteristics of Ildjarn’s direct, uncompromising approach towards black metal that I’m praising here as virtues, are dismissed by many as defects. That’s what I meant by saying that either you love Ildjarn or despise it; there’s no middle term. I’m not implying that Ildjarn’s music can only be grasped by a (usually self-proclaimed) “elite” or anything of the sort. In fact, I don’t blame you if you twist your nose is disgust after a three-minutes “song” with continuous blast beat and comprised of only one note (yes, one freaking note!), as in the opening track of the full length Strength and Anger. Don’t get me wrong: if you don’t like it, I completely get you. I doubt, however, that you’ll ever understand why I love it. And I’ll be equally unable to explain why I do.






I believe I’ve mentioned here before how much I don’t give a fuck about technicality in my music. Of course, I can appreciate a proper display of good musicianship, but I simply don’t see it as a sine qua non requirement to make appealing music. There are people able to compose intense artistic pieces with just a couple of heavily distorted guitars and a lousy drum kit installed in a damp basement, while not rarely the results of six expert musicians gathered in a state-of-the-art studio recording technically intricate black metal just make me yawn.






Ildjarn’s material can be organized into two different sets (of the prolific Ildjarn’s discography, I’m taking here only the full lengths into consideration): first, the black metal albums released during the 1990’s (Ildjarn, Forest Poetry, Strenght and Anger); secondly, the ambient albums (Landscapes, Hardangervidda). I also advise you to check out their split with Hate Forest, Those Once Mighty Fallen, released in 2013, which contains several previously unreleased tracks from both these legendary bands. In reality, I was somewhat surprised with Ildjarn’s section of the split since, albeit not eschewing the roughness idiosyncratic to their music, it has a doubtlessly superior production. When trying to figure out which tracks or albums I should stream here in The Brainlesser, I beat my head against a wall, for I can’t say I have a favourite from this band. Even though Hardangervidda is a rather good album, the black metal trilogy is definitely more deserving of our attention. May it introduce you into this fabulous classic of 1990’s black metal.



Ildjarn (1995)



Strength and Anger (1996)



Forest Poetry (1996)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário