Páginas

segunda-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2014

Besta - John Carpenter


Let's just get this out of the way: I don't listen to hardcore. Or death metal, brutal, technical - let's just say it's a rare day where you find me at home listening to anything that's more energetic than my soon-to-be-emptied coffee mug.
THAT BEING SAID, I love myself a good hardcore concert. Or death, brutal... you understand where I'm gettting at here. If it's grindy specifically, when it's well executed, it's a sight to behold: the minutia of the instrumental work, the physically demanding performance, the sheer explosive violence of the band and spectators. Some people don't like mosh pits but I can't help but marvel at their chaotic beauty, the rage burst coupled with the comraderie of moshers.
The violent core of the grind performance may appear antithetical to its philosophy of mutual understanding and respect, but I believe them to be complementary. The strain of moshing is only matched by the exhaustion of the band itself, and in concert the bond between them and the public is blended in through that act of submission to physical exhaustion. It's through this deliverance that one becomes equal, that one is stripped of the falsary of everyday social interactions. After all, let's not forget that the rage outbursts of a mosh pit may be spawned by deeply rooted frustration and piled up anger, rendering the whole experience a sort of liberating ritual.
One of the best portuguese acts that I came across recently (in my experience, which is limited to live performances) is by the band Besta (literally means Beast), and I'm sharing their latest work below. The band seems to be on full throttle, with the very recent addition of ex-EAK lead singer Paulo Rui - who is also a great performer. The next Besta release is surely something to look for - on stage and maybe even at home.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário