Páginas

quarta-feira, 5 de fevereiro de 2014

John Baizley & Katie Jones - If I Needed You (Townes Van Zandt cover)

Being portuguese, I often miss pretty obvious references to american music. That would be particularly true of folk music from any country - especially those whose culture is furthest away from mine, for both geographic and linguistic reasons - but the widespread of american culture often leaves us at the rest of the world with a sense of knowing, if just a little bit, what's going on at that side of the Atlantic.



So it was great to have been proven ignorant when I found out about country icon Townes Van Zandt through Neurot Recordings' first rendition of Songs Of Townes Van Zandt, featuring covers by Neurosis bandmembers Scott Kelly and Steve Von Till as well as doom pioneer Wino from St. Vitus. By now I've grown into a fan of Townes' music and persona, even drawing me further into the americana folk music that dodged the global exposition of regular american pop. I've dug a bit through the several youtube pages and blogs and found some pretty good, fascinating stuff. So I can only be pleased to hear of a second release in the series, this time featuring Mike Scheidt (YOB), John Baizley (Baroness), and Nate Hall. Though I kind of wish they wouldn't repeat songs already covered in the first album (such as this one).
This version of If I Needed You is nice, but certainly not too interesting when compared to the original. I liked Steve Von Till's version better. Still, the proposition is a good one and I hope other people do as I did and research a bit about Townes Van Zandt and his work.



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário